Pages

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Step by step 2014 ~ Catching up

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry I've not posted anything to this blog for over a week, it's been a really busy time for me, but I promise I'll not slip up again! I have been keeping to my training schedule, I promise! If you've missed any of my previous notes about this year's training, you can read them all HERE. Here are my notes from the last couple weeks...

Monday, May 26, 2014
It might be a really important holiday today as we honor all military who paid the ultimate sacrifice, but I didn't take one from my schedule. I'm really enjoying Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home workouts and I felt great after today's Four Fast Miles.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014
I had hoped to complete a two mile/ 96 lap swim today, because it will be my only aquatic session of the week. However, when I got to the sports center the pool had unexpectedly had to close for a short time, so instead of starting the session at 2:00 pm, I didn't get into the water until 2:30 pm. During the delay I tried to keep my limbs loose and warm, and also stay focused mentally. I managed the former, but with the later start I knew that I may not keep my focus completely.

I'd completed the first mile, once again keeping count of the number of laps easily, when I made the decision to drop the total to 1-3/4 miles/ 84 laps. Physically I felt great, but the delay had affected my concentration a little. I completed the revised distance in just 90 minutes, so I was happy. Perhaps more importantly, for the first time since starting my training, I was ache free!

Total distance now covered... 14-1/4 miles/ 684 laps!

Friday, May 30, 2014
I gave today's cardio session, another Four Fast Miles, my all, upping the pace as much as I could. I'm really enjoying the workout.

Saturday, May 31, 2014
The weather has been somewhat mixed here, most days have seen showers of rain, so having had to drop to just a single swim session this week, I was really pleased, when I checked the forecast earlier in the week to see it was due to be a DRY day. I thought I'd make the most of it and head to the coast. It meant an early start, a 5:00 am alarm, but I knew it would be worth it.

The day was very relaxed and I was a little surprised on the way back when I realized that I'd walked around EIGHT MILES! It really didn't feel that far, and despite some minor sunburn it was a great day! Here are a couple of my favorite pix...

The Marine Lake at Southport...

Red pine trees line the edge of the dune on the approach to the beach at Formby. Feeling the warm sand on my bare feet was also a highlight! :)

Monday, June 2, 2014
Wow, another month gone by already! Perhaps unsurprisingly my legs felt heavy yesterday after such a long walk, and to a degree that was still true today, but I was determined to get through the Four Fast Miles and then rest up. I did just that! By the end I felt tired, but very happy.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014
I'm back to two swim sessions this week and hope to complete 1-3/4 miles/84 laps this afternoon, although I am a little achy still.

Arriving at the sports center I was happy to see the pool was open, unlike last week! I got into the water just before 2:00 pm and got into my rhythm quickly, perhaps too quickly, because around lap 30 I again began to feel the slight niggle in my left bicep. As usual I tried to ignore it, push on through the discomfort, but it was tough.

When I paused for a drink break after completing the mile/ 48 laps, I admitted to myself that I'd be unable to reach today's target, instead aiming for 1-1/2 miles/ 72 laps. I've said from the beginning of my training that I have to listen to my body, because every session is critical to being ready on October 10 to start the challenge. I perhaps should have stopped at the mile, but I'm also stubborn and I would NOT have been happy with that at all.

The last half mile was very tough and by the end of it I admit that I was in pain, but I'd gotten through it and while still in the water I dropped to my knees and prayed, thanking God for getting me through another session.

As soon as I got back to the house I dosed up on anti-inflammatories and rested my arm as much as possible.

As soon as I woke this morning (Thursday), I strapped it and have rested as much as possible. As I write this, late in the afternoon, I've taken the strapping off and it just feels a little niggly again. Did I push myself too far yesterday? Perhaps I did, but I'll not really know until I get back into the pool tomorrow morning. I am still aiming to complete another 1-1/2 miles/ 72 laps tomorrow and I'm determined to do so.

Thanks again everyone, your support really does mean SO much to me!

God bless,
Em  

No comments:

Post a Comment