Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Step by Step 2014 ~ Changing things up

Hi everyone,

Thanks for stopping by, I'm honored to have you here. Thank you all for your support, encouragement and inspiration. Today we continue our look at this week's training notes. If you've missed the previous notes from this year, you can see them all by clicking HERE.

We'll start with another pic from the high school battlefield trip...


Friday, May 2, 2014
Similarly to last Friday, today's cardio session was a shorter than usual one, at only 45 minutes. My limbs felt really heavy and I was conscious of the few niggles I'd felt in the pool on Wednesday. I really need to listen to my body even at this stage of the training, because of the risks involved, pushing too hard could be disastrous and that's not a risk I'm willing to take.

Saturday, May 3, 2014
Before stepping on the scales this morning, I wasn't sure if I'd lost any more weight this week, partly because of the increase in muscle definition and tone that I'm seeing and feeling. So, I was very happy to see that I have indeed lost another 3 pounds, for a total loss so far of nine pounds. The loss seems to have settled into a pattern of nothing one week, with 3 off the next. I'm still some way off my target, but I'm feeling so much better even now.

Monday, May 5, 2014
I was determined to change my cardio session up today, so switched to a different 30 minute routine, at a higher pace. Instead of repeating it a second time, I did a 15 minute session of various parts of the workout I have been doing from the beginning, keeping the pace high and being sure to stretch out and protect all muscle groups.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 ~ Splash by Splash
From the moment I completed last weeks 84 laps/ 1-3/4 miles, I'd planned to complete the same distance today, because it is the distance that I'd worked out to be that which will be done during the challenge. All that changed while I was on the way to the pool this afternoon. Any distance athlete will tell you that it's better to exceed your target or race distance during training. So, the same would be true for me today. Having only ever swam 2 miles once before in my life, that was today's target!

I got into the pool just before 2:00 pm and was soon into my rhythm, although the first couple laps were perhaps a little slower than some I've done because I was focusing on my technique and position in the water. For the first half mile, or 24 laps, I paused briefly to adjust my goggles every 6 laps, but only for maybe 20 seconds, if that.

I was able to keep count of the laps today easier than at other times, I think because the target of 96 laps is enough and I don't want to do any more! This might seem strange to some, but the first mile, or 48 laps, was relatively easy for me. Say what? Yep, even for me, that sounds strange, but I passed the mile with barely a thought and pushed on.

At around 56 laps I started to feel some tension in the left side of my neck and shoulder, but it wasn't niggly or painful, instead telling me that the muscles were doing what I was telling them to do! It was also around this point that I started tiring and losing form in the water, so I focused on pulling my abs in and lifting into a better position for a little, then upped the pace again

The last 15 laps were understandably tough, but just as with every lap over the past five weeks, I gave it my all and pushed on with everything I had, once again changing up my stroke for the last 2, laps 95 and 96 today.

Touching the wall at the end of lap 96, having completed my target distance, even lifting myself to standing was difficult. I truly had given everything I have. With my back to the pool, I said a very, very brief prayer of thanks, looking up as I did so. Turning once more, I lifted my goggles, then slowly walked to the edge of the pool, took hold of the ladder and pulled myself up out of the water, pausing to make sure I could stand, before walking around the pool, grabbing my towel and heading back to the locker room.

As I write this now, I've been out of the pool for a couple of hours and have refueled. The only ache I feel right now is a slight one in each bicep, but I'm not uncomfortable. I am understandably tired, but very happy, very proud to have achieved another target. Five weeks, five targets achieved and I've gone from a mile to two.

In my next post, on Friday, I'll be sharing some more of the planning aspects of the challenge. Once again, HUGE THANKS to all of you for supporting, encouraging and inspiring me as I continue Battling Back.

God bless,
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment